Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name or business contact information of an employee of an organization.
Mercedes-Benz Edmonton West (referred to in this policy as "dealership" or "we" or "us") are responsible for protecting the personal information of our existing customers and prospects (referred to in this policy as "customers" or "you") that is in our custody or under our control, including personal information that has been transferred to or received from a third party. The personal information is collected in accordance with applicable privacy legislation and is governed by this policy.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your personal information to:
- initiate, maintain, and improve our relationship with our customers by providing them with personalization of their experience, including to:
- remember customer interests and preferences;
- customize the products and services we share with customers;
- facilitate customer interactions with our employees;
- track and categorize customer activity and interests on our website and mobile application;
- enrich the customer experience in our dealerships, on our website, and through our mobile application;
- improve our products and services through quality assurance and improvement activities, including to:
- develop and promote new products and services;
- to improve or modify our existing products and services;
- to analyze and improve the safety and security of our products and services;
- perform analytics, such as to:
- understand how customers use our website, mobile applications, products and services;
- generate insights and understand how customers interact with us;
- improve our website, mobile applications, products and services;
- fulfill and deliver orders for goods or services, as well as administer transactions, including determining eligibility for financing;
- provide services (such as warranty and extended service plans), and the booking of appointments; and
- analyze the performance of vehicles, maintain and repair operating systems, investigate accidents and systems and locating vehicles.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- to business partners, such as Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. Daimler AG, and their associated and affiliated companies;
- to business partners, such as third party service providers, agents and affiliated entities in connection with the services that they perform for our dealership, such as providing certain services necessary for the administration of this web site and the provision of certain interactive functionalities. Please note that some of our agents and contractors are located outside of the country and, as such, are subject to foreign laws, including laws that may require disclosure of personal information to government agencies in those countries;
- to law enforcement agencies for the purposes of investigating fraud or other offences; and
- to legal, financial, and other professional advisors or in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of its business or operations.
Except as provided above, our dealership will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent, as required or permitted by law, and to provide the features and service(s) you’ve requested. At the time you register for any such feature or service, you will be notified of, and asked to consent to, the sharing of your personal information necessary for the provision of these requested features or services.
Your knowledge and consent is generally required before we may collect, use or disclose your personal information. Explicit consent is not required where your consent is deemed by law or not required by law. These situations may include an investigation by the police where personal information is publicly available or in situations where otherwise permitted by law. In cases where we collect personal information that requires consent, we will obtain specific written or oral consent from you before collecting, using or disclosing such information. If you provide information regarding eligibility for financing, you are consenting to our disclosure of such information to third party financing companies and/or credit agencies.
Protection of Personal Information
Personal information will be kept at the offices of the dealership. All electronic and paper based information will be maintained under strict security systems appropriate to sensitivity of the personal information to safeguard all personal information that is in the custody or in the control of the dealership from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or similar risks.
All third parties that obtain personal information from the dealership (with respect to financing requests and insurance applications, for example) are contractually required to protect customers’ confidentiality in a manner consistent with this policy, and/or as required by law.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time on reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions (such as where we have arranged to extend credit to you and are required to collect or disclose your personal information on an ongoing basis from or to third parties). If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products and services to you. You may withdraw same by contacting us as per below.
Website Use Privacy & Consent
The dealership collects personal information online primarily to provide our visitors with a more relevant experience on this web site. When doing so, we will make every reasonable effort to avoid excessive or irrelevant collection of data. Our dealership will take reasonable physical, electronic and managerial measures to safeguard and secure any personal information you provide to us (e.g. data will be stored in protected databases on secured servers with restricted access). However, given that electronically submitted data is not 100% secure, we make no representations or warranties as to the security of any personal information you submit online, which you do at your own risk.
Non-Personally Identifiable Data
Anytime you visit this web site, we may gather certain non-personally identifiable information regarding the means you use to access our site. This information may include the type and version of your browser, your service provider, your IP address and any search engine you may have used to locate the site. We use this information to help diagnose problems with our server, administer the Web site, and compile broad statistical data. In addition, we gather certain navigational information about where you go on this web site. This information enables us to determine which areas of the Web sites are most frequently visited and helps us to tailor the sites to the needs and interests of our online visitors. Such information is gathered by us in the aggregate and will not be associated with a specific individual without that individual’s consent.
Personal Information Voluntarily Provided
Any personal information you provide to us (i.e. name, e-mail address, etc.) when you enroll in one of our E-Mail Reminder Services, request information, or use any of the other interactive portions of this web site may be used to provide you with information you’ve requested about our company, our products and our services, or to provide you with special notices. You may opt out of receiving future communications at any time (see opt-out Procedures below). This data may also be used to tailor your experience on this web site by providing content that is relevant to your interests and geographic region.
Accessing this Web Site
This web site is hosted on servers located in the United States. As such, your connection will be through and to servers located in the U.S. Any personal information you provide during your visit will be processed and maintained on our Web server and other internal systems located within the U.S.
The personal data record created through your registration with this web site can only be accessed with the unique password associated with that record. To protect the integrity of the personal information contained in this record, you should not disclose or otherwise reveal your password to third parties.
This web site may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users at various times. Please remember that, unless otherwise stated, any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in these areas.
You may always opt-out of receiving future communications from our dealership. This web site allows users to opt-out of receiving such communications at the point where personal information is requested, or through other means as identified.
Access & Correction
Under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information/Loi sur l’accès aux documents des organismes publics et sur la protection des renseignements personnels (the “Act”), you have certain rights:
- that your information remains confidential;
- to have access to information relating to you and your personal information; and
- to make corrections to your personal information if it is incomplete, inaccurate or misleading, or if the collection, release or keeping of this information is not authorized by law.